Monday 23 April 2012

Another 'ol Photo

So the photo below is one I took during my Undergrad years at @Guelph-Humber......The subject is actually my sister and it's probably one of my favourite shots.....

I have to admit..My favourite part of this photo is the mini background story behind it.....

I'll never forget it....I had to do this low-key portrait for my portraiture and studio class.  I had to basically shoot it over the weekend because I hadn't had enough time to shoot in the studio....so I basically asked my instructor if I could use lamps around the house instead of carting all the equipment home for the weekend (Several stands, weights, lights, and a power pack is a LOT to cart home in your car).  She sort of laughed and said it wouldn't work.....

Well...I ended up getting an AMAZING mark on it (amazing because she never gave out a mark as decent as the one I received on this project) and when we were sitting around critiquing all of our photos, she asked about my lighting set-up and what I did...My response?  "I did what you told me wouldn't work."  It's really one of the only times I probably should have watched my mouth with a teacher of any sort - especially when they're calling the shots and essentially assigning me a mark..... But I must admit, I hate being told I can't do something.  In fact, it really eggs me on to prove someone wrong when they tell me something isn't possible.  I know, I'm horrible aren't I?  So needless to say, I did shoot this photo in my parents' living room, using a lamp, a floor rug, a statue, a fluorescent light, and the subject (my sister).  Lesson to be learned?  Never let someone tell you that something isn't possible.  Prove 'em wrong!


A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment