Friday 13 April 2012

Under da Sea....

So I've started doing some mixed media art using crayons and acrylic paint.  I got the original idea from Pinterest (what a wonderful site!) and just keep adding onto it.  I've started putting them up at work and the kids keep asking about them...so.....I just keep adding onto them.  I like bright colours and the library needed some colour......So I just keep rolling with the punches so to speak.....

To create a piece similar to this all you need are crayons, acrylic paints, paintbrushes, a hot glue gun and glue sticks, matte varnish (optional), hairdryer, newspapers, canvas.

Here's how you do it!

1. Sketch out your design  on your canvas (if you want to draw any shapes, characters, etc.).
2. Get the crayons you want to use and position them where you want them to be (just to see how it looks before you glue them on and can't take them off!).
3. Once your are satisfied with how your canvas looks, glue your crayons onto the canvas.  I usually hold down each crayon for about 30 seconds just to make sure they are secure.  
4. Take your hairdryer and hold it over and on an angle pointing downwards over your crayons.  They will start to melt within seconds!  This is always the trickiest part (getting it to look how you want it to).  I switched it up a bit for this one...I melted crayons on the bottom and on the top, as well as pieces of some green crayons as my "seaweed" on the right-hand side.  *Before you do this step, make sure you place newspapers or a garbage bag underneath in case crayons splatter a bit*
5.  Paint your characters or shapes the way you wish.
6. Spray with varnish (optional).
7. Hang up!!!!

This one is the most recent one I've created.....I got really ambitious with this one!


A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment