Sunday 29 April 2012

When it rains, it pours

So I created this piece a couple of months ago..but I figured with all the wacky and rainy weather we had last week, this piece was totally relevant and appropriate for my newest blog entry.....



All you need to create this piece is crayons in shades of blue (I also used silver & grey), a hot glue gun & glue sticks, a hair dryer, canvas, acrylic paint in red and black, and matte varnish (optional).

Similar to all my other mixed-media crayon art, I always sketch out and plan ahead before jumping into it.  So I drew the silhouette of my girl with her umbrella in pencil first.  Then I laid out the crayons at the top before gluing them on (just in case!).  Once I had it laid out the way I wished for it to appear, I glued on my crayons.  After letting it sit for a couple of minutes, I busted out my handy dandy hair dryer and went to work melting.  Don't forget to put a garbage bag and newspapers down!  Just in case!  I've learned the hard way before.....This one I was pretty particular about (in terms of how the crayons melted).  Luckily this piece co-operated pretty well and I didn't have any major mishaps.....You never know what can go wrong with these types of pieces..... After letting it sit for a bit (and my arms needed a break from holding up the hair dryer for so long!), I started to paint.  Et voila!  This is what I came up with!  The girl who loves the rain! Let's get honest, who doesn't love jumping in the puddles on a rainy night?!

A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment