I decided to make a mini monster gift bag for the iPod adapter for his new iPod (for those of you who don't know, the new iPod plugs/adapters are different because they changed them....which I'm sure Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave about as we speak...). I plan on making more of these in the future and even changing some from little baggies to gift card holders. They're a cute little way to jazz up a gift.
The materials you need for this project are:
- Fabric and felt of your choice
- Needle and thread
- New sew fabric glue
- Yarn in a variety of colours
- Fabric scissors
Here's the procedure for this project:
1. Measure the object you need your monster bag for (in my case it was an iPod adapter). Adjust the measurement so that there is about an inch extra around the perimeter (for sewing and goof-ups). Make sure you draw the shape you need to cut out.
2. Cut out the shape.
3. Trace this shape on the fabric.
3. Cut out.
4. Flip the two shapes so that they are upside down.
5. Start sewing around the outside edges.
6. Once you have sewn all but one side, flip your baggie from being inside out so that it is no longer inside out.
7. Place a button where you wish it to be acting as an eye. Sew this eye on (you may need to flip your baggie inside out again). Repeat this step for eye #2 (if you want 2 eyes - you could always do a cyclops monster).
8. Cut out teeth or a mouth from felt and glue on with fabric glue.
9. Cut out a nose from felt and glue on with fabric glue.
10. Cut some small (or long - depending on which you prefer) yarn pieces and take the yarn apart (I like to call it dissecting...I know.....I'm morbid.....lol). Arrange and glue this yarn onto your monster.
11. Add any additional accents or pieces to your monster.
12. Let your monster dry overnight.
13. Place your gift in your baggie.
I guarantee people will enjoy this! It's such a simple way to jazz up a gift and the possibilities of this are ENDLESS.
Here's my final product!